I’m gluten free. I’m a vegetarian. And I have the good intentions of a vegan – but I’m not, and yes, I have watched my fair share of vegan documentaries. Labels, as strong, polarizing, and political as “vegan” is, are not for me. I will let people know my food preferences and choices when the need arises, and I will refuse foods if they don’t suit the dietary lifestyle I am following, but I won’t be preachy about it. I do it for my health and moral code. Not because of X political reason or Y fashion fitness and nutrition trend. So with that in mind…please don’t judge or criticize me for eating eggs and mayonnaise. I eat both sparingly and with thanks.
This can be eaten as a snack, for lunch, for breakfast, literally ANY TIME you feel the need for food. I ate it as part of my lunch, and maybe I’m biased to my own creation, but I thought it was INCREDIBLY tasty!
Hard Boiled Eggs
It all starts with the hard boiled eggs. (Ps. I have watched my fair share of Gilligan’s Island, and I always think of the episode where Gilligan and the Skipper become bald because of the laundry soap and Mrs. Howell’s comment about eating “Hard Bald Eggs” for breakfast. So in my head, hard boiled eggs are always hard bald eggs. hehehe)
Anyways, I have discovered that the best way for me to get a hard boiled egg to come out right AND be peel-able is this:
- Place the eggs in a pot and cover with water.
- Put on the stove and turn burner to high.
- When the water starts boiling, set a timer for 10 minutes and allow eggs to boil.
- Once the timer sounds the alarm, remove the eggs from the stove and rinse under cold water.
- Peel right away or allow to cool in the fridge.
With the hard boiled eggs ready, it’s time to assemble.
- Take out enough rice cakes so there is once rice cake per egg
- Using a butter knife, spread some mayonnaise over top of the rice cake
- Slice the hard boiled eggs and lay across the rice cake
- Drizzle yellow mustard over top the eggs
- Sprinkle with your favorite hard boiled eggs spices and seasonings. I used pink Himalayan salt, black pepper, paprika, and dried parsley.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Feel free to make any modifications and let me know what you think.
Lots of Love!